Thursday 5 December 2013

Mankind's Loss Today...

Today the world lost a great man who inspired many and fought for what he believed in no matter what the consequences were. Today, on December 12th, 2013, Nelson Mandela passed away.

While I do not pay much attention to political figures, there are some great human beings in politics that fight for the betterment of the human soul. These people remind us that we have power within in us to change our circumstances for the better. We may feel that our own individual lives are insignificant but we all leave our mark on the world that helps shape the future in some way.

I found a quote from Nelson Mandela that I can identify with when I think of my fight with mental illness.


I can only speak for myself, however, I think that many people who struggle with a diagnosis of a mental illness get caught in a trap of believing they are defined by their illness and what "a textbook diagnosis" is.

The question that I must ask myself at this point in my journey is "Am I living a life that is second to my diagnosis?" Nelson Mandela's quote makes sense to me now. Looking back I have lost my passion, letting my illness consume who I am and affecting how I communicate and respond to others, how I treat myself and the limits I put in place for myself. I need to break through the limits and find my passion again. 



1 comment:

  1. A great project to start - congratulations. Keep going forward.

    ReplyDelete