Thursday 14 August 2014

A Must See TED Talk! Subject: Depression

When I feel my mood starting to shift to that darkest of places, when I become indifferent to things around me and the joy is fading, it sometimes help to learn what I can about depression and the ways that other people cope. 

Watching a video on line or reading books makes the " dark monster" feel tangible. I close my eyes and imagine a picture of my brain focusing on the part that is "short circuiting", this leads me to imagine what the monster looks like (for me it's a small sphere shaped black ball). By giving it an image I am able to pull it out (figuratively speaking) as something that is part of my body and health, switching from the idea that it is something hiding in the depths of my soul. It is not a fault in my personality, it is a faulty system in my brain. 

Although this post is short, it is intense to talk about so I will simply end with a post of a Ted Talk that I found quite interesting. I recommend that family and friend's of loves one's with depression watch it. as the speaker; Andrew Soloman, articulates very well how depression feels.


TED Talk - Depression: The Secret We Share - Andrew Solomon  




No comments:

Post a Comment